Sunday, October 23, 2011

Travel Approval!

On March 11, 2006 we attended an orientation to begin the adoption process at Chinese Children Adoption Internation (CCAI). That was 67 months and 12 days ago. Since we began we have been waiting 2,048 days for Lucy. It has been the longest 2,048 days of my life! Turtles move faster.


However, since we received our match with little Lu it feels as though a jet plane has picked this little turtle up and is racing her around the world! My turtle eyes are bulging out of my head and my heart was beating a thousand times a minute for the first couple weeks. For some reason while I am trying to work at warp speed on adoption items, life has the audacity to go on as normal. After our visa applications were FedEx'd to the currier in Washington, DC and the documents CCAI needed had been signed, notarized and returned I began to feel like I was getting into more of a groove. I could just concentrate on slowly preparing for travel. We are working from three lists - "What to do before we leave", "What to pack", and "What to buy". (We've lost them twice now due to severe pregnancy brain on my part, but I think this third of lists is going to last.) CCAI told us we would probably travel 5-7 weeks from match. That would be anywhere from November 3-17. However, all of China was closed down for a week for National Day Holiday the week after we got our match, so I assumed we would travel toward the later end of the estimate.


In comes the surprise. We received word from CCAI last week that all of our appointments have been booked with the Chinese Government and the US Consulate and we will be traveling in a little over a week! Seriously?! The turtle has now strapped on a super powered jet pack and has shot out ahead of the jet plane! My heart is beating fast with the thought of snuggling little Lu in my arms so soon combined with the weight of all that needs to be done before travel.


The next 10 days we will be be a blur. We have to finish the nursery (finally found the bolts to the crib yesterday!); get our house sitter set to move in; get my sub all set; get our technology charged and loaded with movies, mp3s, books and games; figure out Skype; shop for last minute items; pick up prescriptions; notify the bank and postoffice and HR and schools and people to cover our ministries at church for us; pay bills that will accumulate while we're gone; blow out the sprinklers; pack for 4 people for 18 days; and, of course, get a pedicure and a haircut. Oh, and do life - work, soccer, homework, music class, parent/teacher conferences, church, a baby shower, Halloween parties, etc. Nothin' much.


But the biggy is done - we booked our airfare! (I love that I just typed that!) We fly out of Denver on Wednesday, November 2nd and will arrive back home on Sunday, November 20th. I am so excited I can't stand it! Whatever doesn't get done, doesn't get done - I'm getting on that airplane on the 2nd no matter what! The very best part of the trip will be on November 7th or 8th - Gotcha Day. The day they put little Lu in our arms and the Hill Family will be all together at last!


Here are 2 new pictures we received of our sweet girl just this week. She's gotten so big in the last month!  Can't wait to scoop her up and bring her home!



2 comments:

  1. Keek! I'm so excited for you! You can't even imagine it until you get there! What a blessing! Sweet Gracie Lin can't wait to meet her Fu sister Lucy one day!
    Paula

    ReplyDelete
  2. I got goosebumps and teary eyed reading your post! I wish you the very best on your travels! Lucy is so lucky to have all of you as her family. She will know shortly enough how much love you have for her already! Everyone is so blessed to have each other! Our thoughts and prayers are with you guys! Let us know if we can help in any way!

    ReplyDelete